How to Remove Mold in Restroom Tiles and Grout
Removing the mold in restroom tiles and grout is important if you're a business. Dirty facilities are a real turn-off for customers, especially if you're a restaurant or other company that serves food. Knowing what causes mold, how to prevent it, and the best way to get rid of it will help you put your focus back into building your business.
What is Mold?
According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, mold is caused by spores that are invisible to the naked eye. These spores, which behave like seeds, float through the air both indoors and outdoors. When they make their way inside a building, particular one that is moist, the spores can land in wet areas. This is when the mold can start growing, producing allergens, irritants, and sometimes toxic substances. These can trigger asthma attacks and irritate the eyes, throat, nose, and lungs of both allergic and nonallergic people.
What to Do If You Have Mold
The EPA says that if the moldy area is less than 10 square feet, you can handle the job yourself. Because restrooms are conducive to high moisture levels, you can start by improving the ventilation and circulation. You should also check for any plumbing leaks and dry off all items and fixtures. Humidity levels should be between 30 and 60 percent, and you should do whatever you can to prevent condensation. Then you can use detergent and water to scrub the mold off the contaminated surface.
If mold is growing on any type of porous surface, such as ceramic tiles, you might have to discard the tiles. The mold will continue to grow by finding its way into the small pores. The EPA recommends wearing non-vented goggles and to-the-elbow gloves during cleanup. You might also want to wear an N-95 respirator—these are typically available at hardware stores.
Staying on Top of Cleaning
One of the best ways to prevent mold from developing is by keeping a regular restroom cleaning schedule and using the right products. Bringing out the tired mop and bucket of soapy water merely moves all the gunk and contaminants from one spot to another.
Kaivac's No-Touch Cleaning System removes contaminants, lowers the risk of contamination, and gets rid of odors. The process consists of cleaning floors and fixtures by applying automatically diluted cleaning solution thorough a fan spray at low force. The fresh water is used for rinsing, with the pressure flushing out all the soils and contaminants from the hard-to-reach places. To finish, vacuum the floor until it's dry. You'll remove all soils and contaminants from the surfaces and the crevices where spores like to hide.
For more information about Kaivac's No-Touch Cleaning systems, click here.
Get detailed information about how Kaivac helps you clean better and faster: